2.21.2017

hello / goodbye

I never loved airport terminals before,
not the way I did the night
you hugged me hello 

surrounded by tall windows filled with stars
& strangers waiting for their someone
just like I was waiting 
for you
I stood with my fingers tangled together 
and my sneakers anxiously tapping the florescent light reflecting floors
sighing at the sight of every suitcase being pulled by anyone but you
then suddenly,
there you were.
I watched you walk 
with that old backpack
slung over your shoulders. 
I ran to you & you caught me
you keep doing that,
catching me.
I wrapped my arms around your neck 
& laughed when my words got caught in my throat
you smelled just like I remembered 
but your eyes, somehow they looked even better
 & gosh, your arms felt like crashing
back into the half of myself that's been lost
like my chest finally let me breathe a full breath again
you held my hand the whole way home
and all I could think 
was that nothing 
in all my life
has ever felt more lovely than being there 
with you 
 /
I laid my tired head on your shoulder
and let the tears fall   
& all I could think 
was that nothing has ever hurt as much 
as letting you go 
you held my hand the whole way there
but it was so much different than before
you pressed my shaking shoulders to your chest 
and kissed me one last time,
whispered I love you,
and I let you go.
I watched you walk
with that old backpack 
slung over your shoulders
until I lost you in the crowd
surrounded by strangers just like me 
hugging their someone goodbye
I turned to go,
and looked over my shoulder just one last time
wishing that you might come back and catch me 
the way you do
but you didn't 
you couldn't 
so I rode home 
with my hand clasped to the necklace you placed around my neck 
so many nights before
and smiled a sad smile.

I never ached in an airport terminal before,
not the way I did early the morning
you hugged me goodbye


No comments:

Post a Comment